Well arrived at B&B Stalldalen we found out that the nearby Stallhagen Brewery had a Texas barbecue buffet every Wednesday in the summer. We had to go there and try it out! The added benefit was that we could try some of their beers along with the very tasty food.
The four beers all from Stallhagen were:
1) Baltic Porter – Very nice baltic porter with hints of coffee, chocolate and a tiny bit of smoke.
2) US Red Ale – Tasty red ale with a satisfying bitterness and some fruity hop notes from a small amount of dry hopping.
3) Honungsöl – a kind of dry and rather refreshing honey beer.
4) Stallhagen New England IPA – Not very hazy and not very New England, but it’s quite okay for a sunny BBQ at the brewery.
All beers were well executed and tasty thou they may not be the most innovative beers out there. Pictures of the beers and the inside of the brewpub can be seen here
The next day we went hiking and when we returned to the B&B we decided to go to Stallhagen again for dinner and beers (Stallhagen was the only place nearby to eat) and once again we were satisfied with the food. The menu is different kinds of tasty Finnish food and very well suited for their tasty lagers of different kinds. Infact we were so satisfied with the Stallhagen Brewpub that we returned a third time.
The third and last visit at Stallhagen was on yet another warm and sunny Scandinavian summer evening. We had super tasty beer braised cheeks of beef and some tasty beers.
The three beers all from Stallhagen were:
1) Håppy Lager – Refreshing and thirst quenching hoppy lager with a nice citrusy hop note.
2) Twist & Stout – Tasty coffee stout that pairs very nice with beer braised cheeks of beef.
3) Dark Honey – Very forward honey flavors on a quite malty base – nice beer with beer braised cheeks of beef
Stallhagen Brewery (find it here) may be the only brewery on Åland but its definitely worth a visit.
This is all from these very friendly, tasty and beautiful islands – see you in Finland.